9 Plus Natural Ways to Prevent the Cold and Flu and Stay Healthy
1. The number one way to get the cold or flu is through direct contact. If you know some one who is sick it is wise to avoid direct contact them such as touching or kissing them.
2. Cover you your coughs and sneezes with a tissue and then throw it in the trash immediately. If you don’t have a tissue handy cough or sneeze into the inside of your elbow and whatever you do – do not sneeze or cough into your hands. The germs cling to your hands like a magnet.
3. Wash your hand often and regularly for at least 15 seconds with mild soap and water. Don’t touch your mucous membranes such as your eyes, nose, and mouth after touching people or objects that many others have contact with. According to the CDC washing your hands if the best way to prevent sickness and spreading disease.
4. Avoid stress as much as possible because it wears our body down and negatively affects our immune system. When our immune system is weaken it opens up our body to be attacked by germs, viruses and disease. Try getting a massage to help lower your stress, listen to music, try meditation and deep breathing, yoga, or have yourself a good laugh with some friends. Laughter is a wonderful way to reduce stress.
5. Exercise regularly because this helps release endorphins into our body that naturally help our immune system stay strong and healthy.
6. Get plenty of sleep and rest. Sleep is also a major factor to having a strong and healthy immune system. According to experts 7-9 hours of sleep is required for the average person. To help you get enough sleep – try having a regular routine of going to bed and getting about the same time every day. Avoid caffeinated drinks, unhealthy snacks and spicy foods near bedtime in fact avoid unhealthy and processed at any time or meal. Stay off of electronic devices at least an hour before bed and that also means your smartphones or checking your e-mails. It will be there tomorrow.
7. Drink at least 8 glasses of water and fluids every day. you need to flush out the toxins in your body and water is great for cleansing your whole body. Organic fruit juices are a good choice to supply your body with extra vitamins and minerals. Try some peppermint water of peppermint tea. It works wonders on clearing congestion and helps you breathe. Try taking a little dab of peppermint essential oil and put it on your temples of under your nose.
8. Make sure you are eating a healthy balanced diet free from processed foods, sugary, fatty, high-calorie, or junk food. Eat plenty of lean protein and organic or local harvest fruits and vegetables to make sure you are getting the proper nutrition for a healthy and strong immune system. Make sure you are eating plenty of citrus fruits that are high in vitamin C.
Try so homemade bone broth. It is loaded with so many essential vitamins and minerals – it is one of the healthiest foods you can consume.
Eat fish that is high in Omega-3 and plenty of leafy greens. Garlic and onions are known to fight off bacteria and viruses that can help prevent the common cold and flu. They also make many foods taste wonderfully delicious – so add all the garlic and onions you can..
Studies have shown that eating real organic or homemade yogurt with live probiotics can reduce your susceptibility to colds by 25 percent. The beneficial bacteria can help the immune system fight off disease.
9. Make sure you get plenty of antioxidants,vitamins and minerals. Taking a supplements of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E can be very helpful and let’s not forget about that mighty mineral zinc, It is so important in keeping the cold and flu at bay because it is so good at fighting infections. If you do get sick it can shorten the duration of your illness and because It helps destroy the virus at the back of the throat, therefore you recovery time is greatly shorten.